Multimedia Journalist Editor Content Coordinator
+256 779621208 Lizabeth.Paulat@gmail.com
A driven multimedia journalist and editor specializing in politics, global development, foreign policy and content coordination. International news and analysis with a focus on East Africa and the Middle East.
August 2012 – Present
East African Correspondent/Stringer – VOA
- Covered a variety of high profile stories including Burundi Peace Talks, Pope Francis in Uganda, emerging oil markets and Uganda’s 2016 presidential elections.
- Produces a variety of online media including photography, script and radio packages for international broadcast.
- Collaborates regularly with civil society and human rights defenders to uncover systematic abuse in sectors such as health care, women’s rights and land rights.
- Accomplished in researching, interviewing and reporting from remote and volatile locations.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills which enable good working relationships with political institutions, political opposition leaders and independent organizations.
- High competence for analysis, data and comprehensive fact checking.
- Ability to deliver within strict deadlines and adapt to a variety of challenges.
September 2012 – October 2015
Editor, Content Coordinator and Contributor – Living in Kampala/IN KAMPALA Magazine
- Successfully organized monthly story-boards, pitches and final editing on all articles.
- Expanded social media presence, marketability and overall content for a diverse audience of investors and readers.
- Ensured broad and effective marketing strategies and design promotions.
- Managed a staff of rotating writers while contributing 1-2 articles each week.
Feb 2012 – August 2014
Marketing and Editorial Divisions – Fountain Publishing – Kampala, Uganda
- Coordinated closely with staff to create marketability reports and concept development for various manuscripts.
- Demonstrated leadership as managing editor, given reach and authority to resolve issues within a manuscript.
- Worked closely with authors to ensure vision and academic standards were maintained during editorial process.
October 2010 – August 2012
Freelance Writer – Paris, France/Seattle WA, USA
- Created clear and concise analysis for a variety of publications on issues pertaining to gender and militancy within the Middle East and Africa.
- Published policy breakdowns of complex, multinational issues on insurgencies in Libya, Syria and Egypt.
- Worked closely with on-the-ground experts to gain a clear understanding of central issues facing the region.
February 2002 – March 2009
Research and Analysis Management – Altig International – Seattle WA, USA
- Demonstrated ability to innovate by recommending new team models to better serve the company.
- Mastered a variety of online research platforms while verifying applications for those seeking insurance and financial backing.
- Achieved a 99% accuracy rate with a review load of over 4,000 applicants per week.
Language and Skills:
- Fluent in English with a working knowledge of French. Currently studying Arabic.
- Proficiency in a multitude of social media applications, writing platforms, publishing software, database and design programs.
- Able to meet strict deadlines with little oversight.
- Training in digital security including encryption and source protection.
- Accredited member of Foreign Correspondents Association of Uganda.
- Helped organize UPPA Fundraisers to benefit Ugandan photojournalists.
Examples of Work: